I am a book addict. My sons are not as of yet, but we read together at night (Well, most nights. They go to bed so darn late in the summer that sometimes I’m too tired to make sense of words on a page.)
The following is a list I handed out at my Grace Women’s Retreat workshop on Saturday. It is a mix of books I’ve read with the boys and books I’d like to read at some point. I focus on finding books with strong male characters of integrity. The list includes a variety of genres and includes both Christian and secular books.
I’ve linked them all to places where they can be purchased if you are interested.
STRONG AND COURAGEOUS BOY BOOK LIST
- Unbroken (Louie Zamperini) : Laura Hillenbrand (YA book available, movie)
- The Dangerous Book of Heroes (short stories): Conn Igguldon, David Igguldon
- Jesus Freaks (short stories): DC Talk, Voice of the Martyrs
- Let’s Roll (Todd Beamer): Lisa Beamer/Ken Abraham *
- End of the Spear (Jim Elliot): Steve Saint (movie)
- Through the Gates of Splendor (Jim Elliot): Elizabeth Elliot *
- Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story : Ben Carson/Cecil Murphey (YA book available, movie)
- Bonhoeffer (Dietrich Bonhoeffer): Eric Metaxas *
- The Drop Box (Pasto Lee Jong-rak): Brian Ivie (documentary) *
- Foxe’s Book of Martyrs (short stories): William Byron Forbush *
- Playing with Purpose (short stories, pro-athletes): Mike Yorkey
- Linspired (Jeremy Lin): Mike Yorkey
- Fearless: The Undaunted Courage and Ultimate Sacrifice of Navy SEAL Team SIX Operator Adam Brown: Eric Blehm *
- Dangerous Journey – The Story of Pilgrim’s Progress: Oliver Hunkin (Allegory)
- Chronicles of Narnia: C.S. Lewis (fantasy, 2 movies)
- Hatchet: Gary Paulsen (fiction)
- Harry Potter series: J.K. Rowling (fiction, 8 movies)
- I Survived Series: Lauren Tarshis (historical fiction)
* Denotes I have not yet read the book.
I’d be happy to talk with you about any of the books we’ve read.