Additions to My 2015 Summer Reading List
What happens when you go to a writer’s conference is you come home with a brain that is about to explode and a new list of books you want to read. (Some people are addicted to chocolate or exercise or alcohol. I’m addicted to books…)
Needless to say, I had to add to my previous summer reading list, and I thought maybe some book addict out there would be interested. (I’ve put a dent in my original reading list by the way. The Kitchen House may be my favorite story of the year.)
So, here it is, the addendum to my original summer reading list.
1. Mercy’s Rain – By Cindy K. Sproles. (I met Cindy at this year’s Write-to-Publish and have had the honor of being published a few times at christiandevotions.us, of which she is an editor. This book was a hard, but good read.)
2. Atonement for Emily Adams – Susan Lawrence (I met Susan at a writer’s conference a few years ago and met up with her again this year. She is an Iowa author and happened to win a 2014 Grace Award for this book. Plus all of her proceeds are going toward building a children’s home in Swaziland.)
3. On Writing Well – William Zinsser (Gotta keep reading for the learning. Can’t just read for fun.)
4. How to Write What You Love and Make a Living at It – Dr. Dennis Hensley (I took one of Hensley’s classes and learned tons. An interesting tidbit about Hensley: he has written romance novels under a female pseudonym. I’m not big into romance novels, but I’m gonna have to get my hands on one of those at some point.)
5. The Bridge – Karen Kingsbury (So this wasn’t from the writer’s conference. I picked it up at a garage sale because I liked the cover. Yep. Sometimes I judge a book by its cover.)
6. A Million Little Pieces – James Frey (Garage sale find #2. It wasn’t the cover that got me on this one, but the title. Sometimes I also judge a book by its title.)
If I spend enough time at the pool with my boys this summer, I might just get all these books read.